<$BlogRSDURL$>

 

brandon williamscraig  

Don't go to Don's Automotive Repair
2144 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley, CA

The shop has changed hands. All historical information no longer applies. I bought in my vehicle, which was dying in the middle of the street while being driven. I did my best to communicate despite serious language difficulties. When he is not playing PC solitaire or surfing the net, the new owner, Tom, almost communicates through a friend who is his diesel mechanic. They replaced a part, charged fully, sent me away without telling me of other codes/potential problems.

When I dragged it back in after the problem recurred one month later, it t
urns out the shop has sold a half interest to another group of guys, one of whom speaks both Spanish and English and is quite friendly and seems to have it together. None the less, it is Tom and his mate who weren't around when I dropped the van off so their repairs can be finished. Later, by email (my request to be able to have a clue what he is actually saying) Tom recommended (based on error codes only) a new alternator and sensors, and labor at full price, in the process mentioning more error codes and leaving the door open for more charges.

Lindsey Kerr, saint that she is, hooked me up with her Dad (and family contacts) who told me precisely what to ask and how to tell (using actual diagnostics) if the repairs were required.

Apparently Tom didn't like when I asked obviously well informed questions instead of immediately approving his expensive recommendation. He kept the van for another day before telling me his mechanic got called back to Vietnam and instructing me to remove my vehicle by 5pm the same day.

More later when the next mechanic makes or breaks his reputation.

Labels: , , ,

   | posted by Unknown @ 11/10/2009 02:56:00 PM

 

 

|
All original material here is Creative Commons License licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License. All material not originated by the author is used in accordance with acceptable use practices governing public domain, academic study, and not-for-profit cultural development and critique. Any concerns about privacy or copyrights may be addressed by emails directed to public at bdwc dot net.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

  • Click here for RSS Feed